Thursday, February 2, 2017

March for Life

Marsha and I made a short walk Friday from the annual meeting of CCCU Presidents in Washington, D.C., to the National Mall to join the 2017 March for Life.

It was the first time we had ever participated in this event, and it was a special moment for us. We joined a sea of thousands who flowed past the U.S. Capitol and up to the Supreme Court. 

Around us were people from all states, of all ages, Catholics, Protestants, and I even saw a sign for "Secularists for Life."

An annual event, the first March for Life was January 22, 1974. It was the one-year anniversary of the Roe v. Wade court decision that legalized abortion throughout the U.S.

Every year since, pro-life citizens have come to Washington to mark the sad anniversary of this decision that threw out state laws and made abortion legal and available on demand. Since then, 57 million babies have been lost to abortion.

The large crowds seemed hopeful at this year's March. They had, for the first time, been addressed by a Vice President of the United States who said "life is winning again."

For the first time in eight years, pro-life leaders were invited to the White House.

I'm optimistic too, but I also shudder at the thought of how God will judge our generation for these 57 million deaths. How much stronger would our nation be today if these children had been born and given the opportunity to pursue their dreams.

This issue is personal for me. I was adopted at birth -- my birth mother was unwed and already raising children alone. The physician who arranged my adoption was also performing abortions. Evidently, he saw the two options as equally acceptable solutions to the problem of an unplanned pregnancy. If not for God's grace, I would have been lost to abortion, also.

A core of my identity is knowing that my Savior has given me both this earthly life and life into eternity.

He spared my life at its very beginning for His purposes: 
"For we are His creation, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared ahead of time so that we should walk in them." (Ephesians 2:10)