Thursday, January 15, 2015

Awarding Service in Longview

Tuesday evening was memorable for me. Longview Chamber of Commerce chairman Brad Tidwell presented me with the Chairman's Award for service to the Longview community before a crowd of about 500 people at the chamber's annual banquet at Maude Cobb Convention Center.

The Chairman's Award is presented annually to a person who demonstrates dedication and vision for the Longview Community. The program included a short video.

I was honored to be recognized, but humbled, too, because promoting the growth and prosperity of Longview is truly a privilege to me. I see LeTourneau University's future and the future of the city of Longview as distinctly linked together: What is good for Longview is good for LeTourneau University, and what is good for LeTourneau University is good for Longview.

Over the past few years, I have lead a citizen's task force to make improvements to the I-20 corridor so people don't get the "wrong view" of Longview. I've been involved in leading fact-finding trips to other cities to help spur creativity and positive thinking for improvements to consider for Longview. Most recently, I have had the opportunity to serve on a committee drafting a long-term comprehensive plan that can serve as a road map for the city's future. Our successes have been the result of a team effort, benefiting from the talents and abilities of many in the community working together.

I greatly appreciate having been selected, along with LeTourneau University alumna and Longview Chamber of Commerce President Kelly Hall, who was surprised to also be honored with the Chairman's Award for her tireless efforts to improve the city. Kelly is one of the most outstanding Chamber professionals in Texas.

Very many of you care deeply about our community and have supported my efforts. I share this award with you!