Friday, August 8, 2014

Returning to Campus at LETU

College campuses have always been special places to me. As I returned to our campus Monday,  that familiar sense of appreciation for the campus flooded over me.   I'm happy to be back.

I am grateful to Dr. Coyle for his leadership in my absence. He and Mike Hood are valuable assets to LETU and friends to me, personally. I'm excited to be back working alongside them daily.

Although just back, I'm already traveling again. Today I'm in Indianapolis at the offices of the NCAA. I have been appointed to the President's Advisory Council for NCAA's Division III. My first meeting with this group is today.

LETU is proud to be a member of the NCAA. Our own Athletic Director Terri Deike has already been serving on an important NCAA national committee. Just this summer, LETU's baseball team earned our first NCAA post-season appearance in a team sport. Our student athletes in golf and cross country in the past have also competed in NCAA championships.

NCAA is so much more than the "big football schools" seen most often in the news. Most NCAA campuses are like LETU -- places where amateur sport is still the goal and 'student' is still the most important part of being a 'student athlete.'  I've come to understand our courts and sports fields are our biggest classrooms on campus.  When done correctly, intercollegiate athletics yields valuable learning outcomes for our students.