Thursday, August 23, 2012

Taking Inventory

Monday's State of the University address truly brought closure to my first five years as president here at LeTourneau University.

I'm generally not good at stopping and taking inventory of life's events, but preparing my report this year forced me to do so.

From my first few months living on campus in apartment 17-B to the last few months I've spent on the road telling friends about our student center construction project, this past five years has been quite an exciting time for me professionally and personally.

When I review what we have accomplished, I see campus enhancements that have made an impact on student life here, like the Corner Café, the Abbott Center, South Hall and our new 60,000-square-foot Student Center on which we will soon break ground.

We also have launched our new Center for Faith and Work and our new Center for Global Service Learning, both of which are expanding LETU's reach into the world.  Our endowed scholarships have doubled.  Soon we are launching the public phase of our largest comprehensive fundraising campaign to date.

I am proud to be leading the LeTourneau Nation to embrace our unique calling to claim every workplace in every nation for Jesus Christ.

Pausing to take inventory and report to you on our progress toward our strategic vision was helpful and encouraging, but my greatest encouragement came afterward, when a friend sent me a reminder of the truth from 1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV):
58 Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.

Whether I count a day's work as gain or loss toward our strategic goals, whether I consider my first five years a success or not, the truth of our faith is that no labor in the Lord is in vain. Each day with Him and for Him is a day of gain.







The full text of Monday's State of the University address is available here