The power outage shut down all the desktop computers on campus, but our IT generator kept the server and data operations running seamlessly until power was restored, so students in our online programs would not be adversely affected. Our IT teams were here late Monday to ensure no technology disruptions remained, and we appreciate their efforts.
Several heating and air conditioning motors needed to be replaced, including two in Tyler Hall that burned up and caused smoke, setting off a fire alarm and alerting the local fire department. Power was turned off to all of Tyler Hall East and West for safety reasons. Power there was restored by Tuesday, with work on the air conditioners at Tyler Hall to be completed before students return next month.
The air conditioning was out in Belcher Center, Education Building, Longview Hall, Heath Hardwick Hall, MSC and all the residence halls. Most everything was back up and systems were all reset and working by Monday night. Only Longview Hall and the Education Building remained, and they were restored by midday Tuesday. We owe a big thanks to Dan Fiedler and his facilities team for responding quickly to serve those of us at work and the campers who were staying in our Rez halls.