Thursday, August 18, 2011

Welcome Back, LeTourneau Nation

In a week filled with special events, I again participated in one Tuesday that is most meaningful to me: the faculty commissioning service.

Led in responsive reading by Chaplain Carl, the faculty again affirmed their agreement with our university statement of faith.

It is our shared confession of faith that unites us and differentiates us from other universities. It is a simple, intimate event in historic Speer Chapel and I am encouraged by it every year.

Last weekend I was back in my hometown of Tulsa, Okla. to visit with LETU friends and trustees. We talked about many of the great things we are looking forward to in the future as LETU continues to meet needs of students seeking Christian higher education. Some of the things we discussed were among those I shared Monday at the State of the University address. I'm scheduled to be on campus until late next week when I will travel to Pennsylvania to meet with trustees and other friends of the university there.

As you may have already noticed when you opened your email this week, the LeTourNews is getting a facelift.

Communication is important. With this new school year, you'll notice this new look and my intentional effort to regularly communicate my travels, insights and activities that affect the university.

This academic year brings many new faces to campus, and I know you will join me to welcome our new faculty and staff members to the "LeTourneau Nation."